In 1908, the new Library building, which is now called Franklin Hall, was designed by Patton and Miller of Chicago and completed on January 1, 1908, at a cost of $137,000. President William Lowe Bryan selected the words from Milton to go over the entrance doorway: "A good book is the precious lifeblood of the master spirit."
For more on the history of Franklin Hall
Nearly 100 years later, the IU Bloomgton Main Library is located in a different building at the corner of 10th Street and Jordan Avenue, and it's getting a new name.
The Trustees of Indiana University have approved the naming of the Main Library on IUís Bloomington campus for Herman B Wells, the universityís visionary chancellor who died five years ago this month.
For the rest of the story, go to:
Library name change honors Herman B Wells